Our Winter Favourites: Indoors Edition
Here’s the thing: as much as we love our winter wonderland and all of its possibilities for outdoor adventure, sometimes we like to take things inside during the colder months, too. Whatever your reason to winter here, rest assured that there are plenty of options for fun and excitement away from the frostier elements. Whether you choose to swing, sip, shop, or soak, we’ve got an indoor option for that.
- Arts and Culture. A big part of Kimberley’s identity comes from our thriving arts and culture scene. In our downtown Platzl, you’ll find the Kimberley Heritage Museum, The Laundromat Art Gallery, and Kimberley Arts at Centre 64. Our Museum showcases local stories, historical artefacts, and a rotating feature exhibit.The Laundromat features original fine, functional, and decorative art by Canadian artists, while specialising in nature, wildlife, and small-town living in the Kootenays. Centre 64 is the unofficial hub for all things art, culture and entertainment in Kimberley, with regular music, workshops, and exhibits to enjoy. Step a little further away from our downtown core to explore The Craft Shop of Marysville: a unique gift store with handcrafted creations by over 20 artisans.
Hint: Grab a copy of our Platzl Tour from the Kimberley Visitor Centre to help guide you along the way.
- Sip. Every proper winter day calls for a warm up in a fun and relaxed environment. Here in Kimberley, we have our fair share of cafes, breweries, and drinkeries to help balance out the chill. Our suggestion? Start your day with a roasted-in-house cup of coffee at Kickturn Coffee Roasters, or check out the delicious pastries and coffees at our many wonderful cafes throughout town. Later on in the day, clink glasses at happy hour at one of our two local breweries, our spirits distillery, or one of the many tasty watering holes in Kimberley. Prost!
- Shop. Browse for memorable, Kimberley keepsakes, or stock up on all the functional gear and goodies needed to fuel your adventures. Our pedestrian-only Platzl is the ideal spot to find unique gifts, hand-crafted artisanal products, and a whole lot of local flavour. Discover your next favourite store here, or treat yourself to something delicious and lovingly crafted.
- Climb High. All ages rejoice at Spirit Rock Climbing Centre! This place is always on our Kimberley must-do lists as it’s so darn fun, it’s a great challenge, and it can be found smack-dab in the centre of downtown Kimberley. Come here to work on a tricky boulder problem, hot lap on the auto belays, or make some new friends by belaying with the locals in the pit. Trust us, you’re going to love this place.
- Soak and Spa. The Kimberley Aquatic Centre makes for the perfect indoor getaway during the cold, winter months. Personally, we like to visit here for the hot tub and sauna alone, but we hear there is a 25-metre lap pool, a leisure pool, a diving board, and a lazy river to enjoy, too. Once the laps are done, pamper yourself with a relaxing massage, a fresh pedicure, or some well-deserved body work. With many massage therapists, stylists and estheticians in town, we’ve got you covered, head to toe, for all of your TLC needs.
- Dine. Enjoy multi-course meals and gourmet goodness, or get casual with elevated pub grub and backyard BBQ. Our restaurants are a place to nosh with strangers and discover regional favourites and unique flavour combinations. While our downtown Platzl features the largest concentration of our favourite spots to eat, don’t forget to look a little further at our Ski Hill eateries, our takeaway favourites, or our tasty Marysville options.
- Groove. Weekly live music can be found throughout the winter at Stemwinder Bar & Grill, Grist and Mash Brewery, and Stonefire Pizzeria. Once your dancing feet have had a good workout, there are plenty of other great events throughout the week to keep the fun times going. We recommend checking out Sunday Night Bingo and Tuesday Trivia at The Shed, or weekend Karaoke at Whisky Jack’s Pub and Smokehouse.
Tip: Be sure to keep an eye on our Events Calendar for upcoming live music and local happenings.
- Swing. While Kimberley is well-known as a golfer’s mecca during the summer months, the golfing can now be enjoyed all year long. New this winter is Virtual Indoor Golf at Bootleg Gap Golf Course. These golf simulators offer the most lifelike and most customizable golf experience, with 27 subscription courses, 12 annual rotating courses, and a putting green to work on your short game. Grab your family or your best buds, and pass an afternoon swinging in the comfort and warmth of the Bootleg clubhouse.
- Visitor Centre. No visit here would be complete without a stop at our Kimberley Visitor Centre. Swing by to say hello and chat with us. We’d love to meet you, and would be happy to set you up with customised dining, activity, and accommodation suggestions.